Skip to main content
Scroll to Top
Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat (including chewing gum and mints) or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment. For simplest calculations – nothing after midnight.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult, legal guardian if the patient is under 18 years old, must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Please remove contact lenses, jewelry, oral piercings and dentures before coming to the office.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- Please shower and wash your hair on the morning of surgery.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Safian prior to your surgical date for instructions.